JOB: Railroad Operations Manager
The North Shore Scenic Railroad is a passenger (tourist) and car storage railroad operating between Duluth and Two Harbors in Northern Minnesota. It is affiliated with the nonprofit Lake Superior Railroad Museum. The organizations have the following openings; Railroad Operations Manager and Assistant Railroad Operations Manager(s).
Openings are immediate. Apply with letter and resume’ to Mary Karl at the Lake Superior Railroad Museum/North Shore Scenic Railroad – firstname.lastname@example.org – 506 West Michigan Street, Duluth, MN 55802
LSRM/NSSR are Equal Opportunity Employers.
Job Description Form
Position Title: Railroad Operations Manager
Reports directly to: Director of Operations / Curator
Position type: Full Time – Salaried – BCBS and Company Contributed 401K – Paid Vacation & Sick Leave
Over sees: Assistant Operations Manager(s) and Volunteer Train Crews.
Position is responsible for managing the daily and long term operation of all trains on the North Shore Scenic Railroad (NSSR) and Lake Superior RR Museum (LSRM) in a safe, professional and productive manner.
Specific roles and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Have the highest regard for safety and the willingness to oversee and direct others in unsafe situations
- Provide a work environment that promotes positive energy and teamwork among employees and volunteers
- Assisting with the implementation of rules and procedures for employees to follow in accordance with State and Federal Guidelines
- Handling issues and making effective decisions that will help the organization run efficiently
- Helping to ensure railroad equipment stays in good working condition
- Assist with recruiting, training and overseeing a large pool of volunteers working as train and engine service personnel
- Managing the movement and use of equipment and materials in and/or out of the train station and onboard trains in accordance with NSSR policy and procedures, as well as complying with relevant Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) requirements
- Communicate effectively with staff and volunteers to ensure a safe, efficient and positive experience on the train
- Assist with the planning, staffing and execution of special events as relates to Operations
- Assist with maintenance schedules and work with mechanical department to schedule repairs or modifications of equipment
- Coordinate the GCOR/USOR training for all crews and make sure they are up to date with certification
- Assist with the updating and maintaining of the Federal Drug & Alcohol Testing Program
- Work with the Federal Railroad Administration inspectors to ensure complete compliance with all applicable regulations
- Work closely with local management from partner railroads. (BNSF and CN)
- Assume primary responsibility of coordinating volunteer train crew schedules
- Must have a current GCOR or USOR certification
- Must hold a valid locomotive engineers license or be able to get one within one year of hiring
- Must have at least 2 years previous railroading experience.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Must be able to meet deadlines and follow schedules.
- Must be willing to work non-traditional hours as needed
- Must have the ability to direct and coach others and work in a team environment
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment.
- Strong verbal, written and communication skills as well as organizational skills
- Computer and online skills
- Must obtain and maintain knowledge of CFR Part 49 regulations pertaining to railroad operations
- This job requires drug and vision prescreening and random DOT drug testing