Standard Train Excursions
Trains operate daily in the summer and fall months, starting in spring. There are several options to choose from. Our standard excursions are listed below, and other special events listed here.
Good things to know:
- Reservations are recommended for all excursions, and some trains require reservations in advance. A credit card is required to make reservations.
- Schedules are subject to change for special events.
- All excursions are round-trip
- On most excursions, children ages 2 and under are free and do not need reservations or tickets, except on: First Class Duluth Zephyr, Elegant Dinner Train, Summer BBQ, and Murder Mystery, ages 0-13 will need a purchased ticket.
- Combo rates are: $7.00 for adults and $3.00 for children (3-13). Without a train ticket, Museum passes are $14 for Adults and $6 for children.
- Wheelchair accessibility is available on the Duluth Zephyr and Pizza Trains only at this time – there are no accessible restrooms for wheelchairs onboard the historic railcars. >>More ADA information here<<
The Duluth Zephyr
Operates daily until mid-October
The Duluth Zephyr is our most popular trip! Great for all ages, this train operates daily in the summer and offers a 75 minute trip (1hour, 15 minutes) through downtown, along the shoreline of Lake Superior, through the historic Congdon Neighborhood wooded area, until it reaches a siding where we stop briefly to turn around and return to the Depot.
First Class Option: Ride in the Dome Car and enjoy the unique upstairs viewing area, with an attendant designated just for you. Space is limited to just 24 passengers per trip, but you have the entire Dome Car (including the downstairs lounge) to yourself. Enjoy complimentary snacks while you experience the spectacular views from above, in the “Silver Club” CB&Q Dome Car. Learn more about the Dome Car here.
Coach Seats: Ride in one of several historic coaches. Some have open windows, some have air conditioning/heat, its up to you! A concession car is also available to explore.
FIRST CLASS: $38.00
All ages (including babies) need a purchased ticket
COACH SEATS: Adults – $18.00, Children (3-13) $9.00
Ages 2 and under are free and do not need tickets
- Reservations are not required for this excursion, but recommended. Tickets may be purchased anytime prior to departure.
- Beverages and snacks are available onboard the train. Pepsi products, juice, and water. Beer, wine, and seltzers are also available for ages 21+.
- Light snacks available for purchase such as candy and chips.
- Schedules subject to change from what is listed above, for most up-to-date, Click here for daily calendar.
- Trains operate 7-days-a-week until October 16th, 2019
The Music & Pizza Train
$32 Adults, $19 Children (3-13)
A 2-1/2 hour trip up the North Shore with pizza and fun for all ages! One 8″ Domino’s Pizza plus soda included with every ticket. The first part of the ride is narrated as we pass by all the sights of Duluth, on the way back jam out in the concession car with live music from local musicians.Beverages and snacks are available onboard the train; Pepsi products, juice, water, as well as Beer, wine, and seltzers. Light snacks available for purchase such as candy and chips.
The Music & Pizza Train operates Wednesday-Saturday in the evenings all summer, and Friday/Saturday only after Labor Day. Additional weekday runs on Mondays/Tuesdays in August.
Adults – $26.00, Children (3-13) $18.00
Ages 2 and under are free (no pizza included)
Pizza train reservations must be made by 2pm the day of the excursion. Meat or Cheese pizza option available: Pepperoni, or Sausage, or Cheese. Gluten Free cheese also available. Menu choices must be made at the time of reservation.
The Two Harbors Turn
Operates weekends to Mid-October
A six-hour full day up the North Shore with a layover-stop for lunch (food not included in ticket price), touring and shopping in beautiful Two Harbors. Return to Duluth between 4 and 5pm. Click here to view a map of the route.
Entrance to the Lake Superior Railroad Museum is included with your ticket prior to departure. Doors open at 9am. This trip is usually not wheelchair accessible. Pets are not allowed.
Beverages and snacks are available onboard the train. Pepsi products, juice, and water. Beer, wine, and seltzers are also available for ages 21+. Light snacks available for purchase such as candy and chips.
This train operates on weekends: Friday, Saturday, and Sundays.
Diesel Powered Trips:
Weekends starting Memorial Day Weekend
Adults – $32.00, Children (3-13) $19.00
Steam Powered Trips:
Weekends: August 9 – September 15
Adults – $54.00, Children (3-13) $29.00
Fall Colors Tour (Diesel Powered):
September 20 – October 13
Adults – $35.00, Children $20.00
The Two Harbors train excursion is subject to delays to due Canadian National Railway (CN) freight traffic. Please consider this when making plans for after the train ride. Delays are rare, but can be an hour or more.
Ages 2 and under are free on all Two Harbors excursions
Reservations are strongly recommended