Do you love Duluth and showing it off to other people? Do you like to make other people happy? Do you enjoy the outdoors and the beauty of our area? Do you love to work with customers? Do you have great customer service skills?
If you answered “yes” to all of these questions, then a job at the North Shore Scenic Railroad this summer and fall is for you!
The North Shore Scenic Railroad is one of Duluth’s oldest and most popular tourist attractions. Trains depart from the Duluth Depot and travel to various points along the shore, and all the way to Two Harbors. Excursions operate 7 days a week all summer long through October, with weekend train excursions starting in May.
The railroad is currently seeking team members with excellent customer service skills and attention to details to work as Museum and Train Staff this summer and fall. Train Staff work in the giftshop, candy store and ticket office inside the downtown Duluth Depot, as well as car attendants on the popular excursion trains. Team members work registers and complete transactions as well as providing tourist information and narration on the train excursions. You must be atleast 18 years old to apply. To apply, you must complete a job application: https://duluthtrains.com/application/
Specific roles and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Greet and assists customers with a smile, acting as a museum interpreter and providing railroad history to the best of your abilities while continually growing those abilities.
- Work in areas on train excursions, giftshop, ticket office, ice cream shop, and museum docent post.
- Knowledgeable of the North Shore Scenic railroad including but not limited to: events, excursion schedules, policies, history, safety procedures, sales products, tourist information
- Complete transactions quickly and accurately in all shops*
- Presentation, housekeeping and inventory management in all shops
- Answer questions and help customers solve concerns or problems pertaining to merchandise or other related issues
- Open, run and close register tills and ensure proper handling of money in shops and all activities related.
- Ensure proper handling of stock including inventory, security and reporting procedures.
- Maintain a clean and organized environment, following cleaning schedules, while keeping initiative to spot duties that need to be done, and do them without needing supervision
- Cleans trains between excursions.
- Opens/closes museum, and may often be the only person on duty in the Railroad Museum portion of the building
- Must remain enthusiastic, consistent, and pleasant demeanor while on duty with public.
- Must be knowledgeable of museum membership benefits and structure, and must promote museum benefits
- Assist Conductor and Train Crews in greeting, boarding, detraining and assistance of passengers, including assisting passengers with special needs.
- Strong verbal, written and communication skills with proven ability to facilitate varied groups of individuals.
- Must have excellent organizational and multi-tasking ability
- Must be able to independently work with the public
- Must be able to operate a computer for all point of sale transactions
- Must be able to lift up to 30lbs, the job includes walking on uneven surfaces and physical movement
- Must be able to climb a ladder to reach stock area or up and down from the trains.
- Project positive, energetic, professional and customer-service oriented personality
- Team-oriented enthusiasm to achieve objectives of the staff and organization.
If you are interested, complete an online application found here: