TRAIN EXCURSIONS BEGIN OPERATING MAY 21, THE MUSEUM IS OPEN FEBRUARY 1ST. WE CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE SITUATION TO ASSURE IT IS SAFE AND HEALTHY FOR OUR GUEST-PASSENGERS AND CREWS AND BASE OUR POLICIES ON ST. LOUIS COUNTY AND THE STATE OF MINNESOTA GUIDELINES.
INFO ABOUT COVID19 PROCEDURE CHANGES (As planned for 2021 operations, subject to change):
- Masks are required in the Duluth Depot building, and for boarding the train (onboard they can be removed while seated).
- Boarding procedures are modified to eliminate the line to board the train
- Trains have a reduced capacity, in most cases by half
- Onboard the train, additional space is made between seats restricting how close passengers can sit
- Friendly signage is posted around the building to simplify social distancing.
- The museum itself has been converted to a one-way tour.
- Buttons inside the museum have been replaced with motion-activated switches.
- Dinner trains reduced capacity by half, spacing tables every-other occupied, or by group
- Pizza Trains: All 8″ personal pizzas are enclosed in an individual box until they reach the passenger
SALES POLICY CHANGES:
A relaxed sales policy continues to 2021: reservation/sales made during this time for an excursion made anytime in the 2021 calendar year, will have a “no risk reservation” allowing full refunds for cancellations with atleast 2 days notice. See details here.
Standard Train Excursions
Trains operate daily in the summer and fall months, starting in spring. There are several options to choose from. Our standard excursions are listed below, and other special events listed here.
Good things to know:
- Reservations are recommended for all excursions, and some trains require reservations in advance. A credit card is required to make reservations.
- All excursions are round-trip
- On most excursions, children ages 2 and under are free and do not need reservations or tickets, except on: First Class Duluth Zephyr, Elegant Dinner Train, Summer BBQ, and Murder Mystery, ages 0-13 will need a purchased ticket.
- Combo rates to add the museum will be available soon. You can purchase museum passes at anytime.
- Wheelchair accessibility is available on the Duluth Zephyr and Pizza Trains only at this time – there are no accessible restrooms for wheelchairs onboard the historic railcars. >>More ADA information here<<
The Duluth Zephyr
Operates daily until mid-October
This excursion begins operating May 21st, and begins 7-days-a-week starting May 28th
The Duluth Zephyr is our most popular trip! Great for all ages, this train operates daily in the summer and offers a 75 minute trip (1hour, 15 minutes) through downtown, along the shoreline of Lake Superior, through the historic Congdon Neighborhood wooded area, until it reaches a siding where we stop briefly to turn around and return to the Depot.
First Class Option: Ride in the Dome Car and enjoy the unique upstairs viewing area, with an attendant designated just for you. Space is limited to just 24 passengers per trip, but you have the entire Dome Car (including the downstairs lounge) to yourself. Enjoy complimentary snacks while you experience the spectacular views from above, in the “Silver Club” CB&Q Dome Car. Learn more about the Dome Car here.
Coach Seats: Ride in one of several historic coaches. Some have open windows, some have air conditioning/heat, its up to you! A concession car is also available to explore.
FIRST CLASS: $40.00
All ages (including babies) need a purchased ticket
COACH SEATS: Adults – $20.00, Children (3-13) $10.00
Ages 2 and under are free and do not need tickets
**Additional fees may apply on peak days (Weekends)
- Reservations are not required for this excursion, but recommended. Tickets may be purchased anytime prior to departure.
- Beverages and snacks are available onboard the train. Pepsi products, juice, and water. Beer, wine, and seltzers are also available for ages 21+.
- Light snacks available for purchase such as candy and chips.
- Schedules subject to change from what is listed above, for most up-to-date, Click here for daily calendar.
- Trains operate 7-days-a-week in late spring, through mid October.
The Music & Pizza Train
A 2-1/2 hour trip up the North Shore with pizza and fun for all ages! One 8″ Domino’s Pizza plus soda included with every ticket. The first part of the ride is narrated as we pass by all the sights of Duluth, on the way back jam out in the concession car with live music from local musicians.Beverages and snacks are available onboard the train; Pepsi products, juice, water, as well as Beer, wine, and seltzers. Light snacks available for purchase such as candy and chips.
The Music & Pizza Train operates Friday/Saturday May 21-June 26, and Wednesday-Saturday starting June 30th.
Coach Seats: Adults – $28.00, Children (3-13) $18.00
Ages 2 and under are free (no pizza included)
**Additional fees may apply on peak days (Saturdays)
Pizza train reservations must be made by 2pm the day of the excursion. Menu options available: Pepperoni, or Sausage, or Cheese. Gluten Free cheese also available. Menu choices must be made at the time of reservation.
Groups larger than 4 people may not be able to sit directly together. We do not have assigned seating, and staying together isn’t too hard. However, due to COVID19 restrictions, seating areas (groups of 4) are spaced every-other, so it is hard to sit directly across from eachother or directly in the same vicinity.
The Two Harbors Turn
Full Day Excursion on Weekends
A six-hour full day up the North Shore with a layover-stop for lunch (food not included in ticket price), touring and shopping in beautiful Two Harbors. Return to Duluth between 4 and 5pm. Click here to view a map of the route.
Entrance to the Lake Superior Railroad Museum is included with your ticket prior to departure. Doors open at 9am. This trip is usually not wheelchair accessible. Pets are not allowed.
Beverages and snacks are available onboard the train. Pepsi products, juice, and water. Beer, wine, and seltzers are also available for ages 21+. Light snacks available for purchase such as candy and chips.
This train operates on weekends: Friday, Saturday, and Sundays.
Standard Two Harbors (Diesel Powered):
July 2 – September 12
Adults – $34.00, Children $20.00
Steam Powered Excursion:
Steam Excursion Operating Dates Are Not Yet Planned For 2021
2019 Pricing: Adults – $48.00, Children $28.00 (Plus a $2 per ticket Steam Legacy Fee)
Fall Colors Tour:
September 17 – October 17
Adults – $39.00, Children $24.00
The Two Harbors train excursion is subject to delays to due Canadian National Railway (CN) freight traffic. Please consider this when making plans for after the train ride. Delays are rare, but can be an hour or more.
Ages 2 and under are free on all Two Harbors excursions
Reservations are strongly recommended