The North Shore Scenic Railroad operates on a 28 mile stretch of track between Duluth and Two Harbors, Minnesota. Public excursions start in early summer and run through the holiday season. Click here to view a more details route map.
History of the North Shore Scenic Railroad
Donald Shank, former General Manager and Vice President of the Duluth, Mesabi & Iron Range Railway, began the North Shore Scenic Railroad. He operated the railroad for one season, using both County and private funding.
The Goldfines, a local family, took over operation of the railroad. The operated as a for-profit entity, using equipment that they had purchased. The Goldfines operated the railroad for five seasons.
The Lake Superior Railroad Museum assumed operation of the North Shore Scenic Railroad. Operating with a strong corps of volunteers and a fleet of historic museum equipment, the North Shore Scenic Railroad has grown into an educational and historically significant operation. This is the museum’s tenth season operating the NSSR.
Lakefront Line became the North Shore Scenic Railroad
The North Shore Scenic Railroad operates excursions along the historic Lakefront Line, a 26-mile section of rail between Duluth and Two Harbors. This rail corridor served a vital link in the transportation system for over 100 years. Known originally as the Lake Division, it connected the isolated Duluth and Iron Range Railway with America’s expanding rail network. In 1886, when the Lakefront Line was first built, it was joined by a one-mile extension of the St. Paul and Duluth Railway at Fifth Avenue East in Duluth, providing the D&IR with access to downtown Duluth as well as to other railroad carriers at the Head of the Lakes.