Assistant Station Manager
Do you love Duluth and showing it off to other people?
Do you like to make other people happy?
Do you enjoy the outdoors and the beauty of our area?
Do you love to work in a team environment?
Do you have great customer service skills?
If you answered “yes” to all of these questions, then a job at the North Shore Scenic Railroad this summer and fall is for you!
The North Shore Scenic Railroad is one of Duluth’s oldest and most popular tourist attractions. Trains depart from the Duluth Depot and travel to various points along the shore, and all the way to Two Harbors. Excursions operate 7 days a week all summer long through October, with weekend train excursions starting in May.
The railroad is currently seeking an Assistant Station Manager with excellent customer service skills and attention to details to work with the Museum and Train Staff this summer and fall. This position manages operations of the Train Station and Train Staff who work in the giftshop, candy store and ticket office inside the downtown Duluth Depot, as well as car attendants on the popular excursion trains. Team members work registers and complete transactions as well as providing tourist information.
Specific roles and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist with training and orientation of staff and volunteer staff, often requested to assist with recruitment
- Work in areas on train excursions, giftshop, ticket office, ice cream shop, and museum docent post. These locations are referred to as “shops” in this document.
- Promote a positive team environment and adhere to the “open door philosophy.”
- Knowledgeable of the North Shore Scenic railroad including but not limited to: events, excursion schedules, policies, history, safety procedures, sales products, tourist information
- Monitor train capacities and manifest often requiring quick decision making to make adjustments accordingly
- Complete transactions quickly and accurately in all shops, ensure other staff are doing the same or direct them otherwise.
- Presentation, housekeeping & inventory management in all shops, ensure other staff are doing the same or direct otherwise.
- Answer questions and help customers solve concerns or problems pertaining to merchandise or other related issues
- Open, run and close register tills and ensure proper handling of money in shops and all events related.
- Ensure proper handling of stock including inventory, security and reporting procedures.
- Make staffing schedules
- Must keep shops stocked and full and alert management of anything short or out of the ordinary
- Complete safety orientation before riding/working-on any trains, assure other staff has aswell
- Liaison to volunteer train crews and operations department
- Maintain a clean and organized environment, following and promoting cleaning schedules
- Assure that the Train staff cleans trains between excursions.
- Opens/closes museum, and may often be the only person on duty in the Railroad Museum portion of the building
- Must remain enthusiastic, consistent, and pleasant demeanor while on duty with public.
- Must be knowledgeable of museum membership benefits and structure, and must promote museum benefits
- Assist Conductor and Train Crews in greeting, boarding, alighting, and assistance of passengers, including assisting passengers with special needs.
- Strong verbal, written and communication skills with proven ability to facilitate varied groups of individuals.
- Must have excellent organizational and multi-tasking ability
- Previous management or supervisor experience is preferred.
- Must be able to independently work with the public
- Must be able to lift up to 30lbs, the job includes walking on uneven surfaces
- Must have availability of atleast 25 hours per week
- Must be able to climb a ladder to reach stock area or up and down from the trains.
- Project positive, energetic, professional and customer-service oriented personality
- Must be able to navigate computer systems for Point of Sale, Inventory Management, online ticketing, and more.
- Provide leadership and ability to influence, develop and empower associates to achieve objectives of the team and organization.
If you are interested, complete an online application found here.