Day Out With Thomas, coming back to Duluth this Summer, 2021!
Tickets On Sale Now!
August 6, 7, 8 and 13, 14, 15 in 2021 is the largest event at the Duluth Depot all year, Day Out With Thomas is fun for the whole family! This is an opportunity for kids to take a ride with their favorite tank engine, meet the railway controller Sir Topham Hatt, have fun in Imagination Station, explore the Railroad Museum, take a ride with Thomas’ friend Percy, and much more! It is also the biggest fundraiser for the Lake Superior Railroad Museum. Get ready for the Celebration Tour when Thomas brings his best buddy Percy with him to Duluth, Minnesota this summer. Some information is subject to change with the ever-evolving pandemic guidelines and restrictions.
The theme for 2021 is Party Train! Celebrating the return of Percy and Thomas the Tank Engine to Duluth, Minnesota. Come for the train ride, and stay for the party.
The ONLY place to see Thomas in Minnesota or Wisconsin!
Each ticket to the Day Out With Thomas includes:
- Access to all activities at Day Out With Thomas
- Entry to the Lake Superior Railroad Museum included
- Approx. 20-25 minute train ride behind Thomas through Duluth to Lake Superior
- Interactive Storytelling
- Activity Zone train games lead by our Conductors
- Mini Golf
- Live Children’s Music with “Big & Tall band” and “Will Hale & the Tadpole Parade” fun for all ages.
- Photo opportunities with: Thomas, Percy, Sir Topham Hatt, Rosie, and Nia
- Free vintage trolleycar rides – based on availability
- Activity Bags to Go! with Temporary Tattoos, Coloring sheets and other fun stuff included.
- Model Train layouts
- Huge Thomas Gift Shop with exclusive merchandise for sale
- Lots of games and activities to be added as the COVID-19 restrictions change or get lifted
- And much more…
…Add the Percy Train Ride For More Fun
- A separate 20-25 minute train ride behind Percy, a similar route but different fun onboard
- Percy train rides can be scheduled before or after your ride with Thomas
- Photo opportunity with Percy
- You must buy a Thomas ticket in order to purchase a Percy train ride
- Percy has a party on his train!
Tickets are $20 per person for Thomas, ages 2 and up. Train rides depart every 90 minutes for Thomas starting at 8:30am, and every hour for Percy rides. All guests much purchase a Day Out With Thomas ticket for a specific ride time.
The Percy train ride can be added as an additional purchase for just $4 more. You must have a ticket for Day Out With Thomas and add on Percy in order to ride the Percy ride or enter the grounds.
Toddlers under 2 do not need a ticket, but must ride in the lap of a ticketed passenger. Both train rides are about 25 minutes each, but the “average guest” is here for 2-3 hours depending how much fun with your friends you want to have!
Tickets are for sale online or by calling TicketWeb: 866-468-3399
Frequently asked questions:
Do I need to pre-purchase tickets?
Advance ticket purchases are strongly encouraged, as trains do sell out. Thomas runs several times a day, and there is often space on the morning and afternoon trains. If trains aren’t sold out, tickets are for sale at the window for a limited number of walk-up sales. This year we are seeing a dramatic increase in reservations and are anticipating sold out trains for many of the days, especially on Saturdays of the event. With reduced capacities, spaces is very limited.
Where do we park?
During the event, there are two city operated parking ramps located to the north and south sides of the depot building. Several other parking facilities are within a two-block walk of the event. Most parking locations require payment and most accept credit cards. Parking fees vary from day-to-day of the event (weekday/weekends). Please allow extra time to find parking before your train departure.
Can I buy a Percy Ride Only Ticket?
The ride with Percy is only available as an add-on to your Day Out With Thomas ticket.
When do gates open and close?
Gates for Day Out With Thomas open at 8:30am and close at 5:00pm. Guests with tickets are welcome to stay the entire time and enjoy all the activities.
Can I buy a discounted admission and not ride Thomas?
Anyone can choose not to ride on the Thomas excursion ride, but all guests at the Day Out With Thomas must purchase a standard admission ticket, for $20, available above.
What if the event is cancelled?
Last year, when the event was cancelled due to the pandemic, all tickets were refunded in full. In the unforeseen event of a cancellation this year, refunds will be issued accordingly. More about the sales policies for the Day Out With Thomas event can be found on the TicketWeb website here.
With COVID19, what are you doing differently to keep us safe?
Changes are being made to the previous Day Out With Thomas events to assure that this year’s event is as safe as possible for all guests. For example, there will not likely be any bounce houses at the event, but instead we will have all new activities and games in their place. The trains will be thoroughly cleaned inside between trips prior to passengers boarding. Masks will be required on the train, inside the building, following state/county guidelines, and in some outdoor areas of the event as well. But things are always changing with the event and we will continue to make adjustments as August approaches to assure all of Thomas’ friends are super safe, while having super fun times at the Day Out With Thomas. More about the North Shore Scenic Railroad’s COVID19 Policies, Guidelines, and Procedures can be found here.
More helpful information & links:
- For directions to the Duluth Depot (Day Out With Thomas event): click here.
- For information on the Sensory Friendly event for Day Out With Thomas, please visit this link. Sensory Friendly Day Out With Thomas is an event for people and children who have sensory processing issues, are on the autism spectrum, and/or have special needs. To make it an event geared for these populations, we ask you to only request tickets if you and the person for whom you are a caregiver meets these requirements.
- Have a promotional ticket from a radio station, tv station, or something like that and want to make a reservation? click here.
- Gates for the Day Out With Thomas event open at 8:30am and close at 5:00pm.