Get ready for the fun when Thomas arrives to Duluth, Minnesota this summer!
August 5-7 & 12-14
A Day Out With Thomas is a day of fun for the whole family. Take a ride with their favorite tank engine, Thomas, meet the controller of the railway, Sir Topham Hatt, bounce in our inflatable slide, bounce house and obstacle course, enjoy live magic and music, try lawn games, visit the railroad museum, explore the play pod, get a temporary tattoo and much much more! The ONLY place to see Thomas in Minnesota or Wisconsin.
Each ticket to the Day Out With Thomas includes:
- Access to all activities at Day Out With Thomas
- Entry to the Lake Superior Railroad Museum included
- Approx. 25 minute train ride behind Thomas through Duluth to Lake Superior
- Live Magic Shows
- Activity Zone train games lead by our Conductors
- Mini Golf
- Live Children’s Music with “Big & Tall band” AND “Will Hale & the Tadpole Parade”
- Photo opportunities with: Thomas, Sir Topham Hatt, and other visiting characters
- Free vintage trolley rides – based on availability
- Temporary Tattoos
- Model Train layouts
- Huge Thomas Pop Up Gift Shop with exclusive merchandise for sale
- Inflatable slide, obstacle course and bounce house
- Play Pod
- And much more…
Tickets are $22 per person for Thomas, ages 1 and up. Train rides depart every hour on the hour starting at 9:00am. All guests must purchase a Day Out With Thomas ticket for a specific ride time, and your ticket is an all-access pass to all the above activities.
Babies under 1 year of age do not need a ticket, but must ride in the lap of a ticketed passenger. All children ages 1 and older are required to have a ticket. The train ride is about 25 minutes each, but the “average guest” is here for 2-3 hours depending how much fun with your friends you want to have!
Tickets are for sale online or by calling: 866-468-7630. Questions or other Ticketing issues, please contact Ticketweb here.
This is the biggest fundraiser for the Lake Superior Railroad Museum, with all proceeds going to help them fulfill the mission to preserve, present, and interpret the history of railroading, especially as it relates to the area. Information is subject to change with the ever-evolving pandemic guidelines and restrictions.
Frequently asked questions:
Do I need to pre-purchase tickets?
Advance ticket purchases are strongly encouraged, as trains do sell out. Thomas runs several times a day, and there is often space on the morning and afternoon trains. If trains aren’t sold out, tickets are for sale at the window for a limited number of walk-up sales. This year we are seeing a dramatic increase in reservations and are anticipating sold out trains for many of the days, especially on Saturdays of the event. With reduced capacities, spaces is very limited.
Where do we park?
During the event, there are two city operated parking ramps located to the north and south sides of the depot building. Several other parking facilities are within a two-block walk of the event. Most parking locations require payment and most accept credit cards. Parking fees vary from day-to-day of the event (weekday/weekends). Please allow extra time to find parking before your train departure.
When do gates open and close?
Gates for Day Out With Thomas open at 8:30am and close at 5:00pm. Guests with tickets are welcome to stay the entire time and enjoy all the activities.
Is this event Wheelchair Accessible (ADA)?
Yes! Thomas has a wheelchair lift onto the train ride, and most of the event activities and exhibits are accessible, with limitations only on some of the historic exhibits inside the museum, bounce houses, and a few other areas of the historic Depot. But the event grounds are accessible for wheelchairs.
Can I buy a discounted admission and not ride Thomas?
Anyone can choose not to ride on the Thomas excursion ride, but all guests at the Day Out With Thomas must purchase a standard admission ticket, for $22, available above.
What if the event is cancelled?
Two years ago, when the event was cancelled due to the pandemic, all tickets were refunded in full. In the unforeseen event of a cancellation this year, refunds will be issued accordingly. More about the sales policies for the Day Out With Thomas event can be found on the TicketWeb website here.
Is there food available at this event?
YES! The Firebrick Grill concession tent is setup at this event with items such as burgers, hot dogs, chicken sandwiches, corn dogs, cheese curds, and more. In addition, the museum’s Ice Cream shop has lots of great snacks, and the train also has concession/snacks onboard for sale.
With COVID19, what are you doing differently to keep us safe?
Changes are being made as needed to the previous Day Out With Thomas events to assure that this year’s event is as safe as possible for all guests. The trains are cleaned inside between trips prior to passengers boarding. Masks might be required on the train, inside the building, following state/county mandates. But things are always changing with the event and we will continue to make adjustments as August approaches to assure all of Thomas’ friends are super safe, while having super fun times at the Day Out With Thomas. View the most updated COVID19 Policies and Procedures here.
More helpful information & links:
- For directions to the Duluth Depot (Day Out With Thomas event): click here.
- For information on the Sensory Friendly event for Day Out With Thomas, please visit this link. Sensory Friendly Day Out With Thomas is an event for people and children who have sensory processing issues, are on the autism spectrum, and/or have special needs. To make it an event geared for these populations, we ask you to only request tickets if you and the person for whom you are a caregiver meets these requirements.
- Have a promotional ticket from a radio station, tv station, or something like that and want to make a reservation? click here.
- Gates for the Day Out With Thomas event open at 8:30am and close at 5:00pm.